Check out this great news story: http://www.communitynews.com.au/news/Waltzing-into-the-honour-roll/7670076
HE was just 10 when his mum took him along to a ballroom dancing lesson to accompany his twin sister.
That was decades ago and the rest, as they say, is history for Glen Tierney, who has been described countless times as one of the best ballroom dancers Australia has ever produced.
With years of top-level professional dance achievements to his name, the internationally respected instructor at Victoria Park’s Humphreys Dance Studio has been appointed a World DanceSport Federation (WDSF) judge for three world championships in Italy this July.
The modest Tierney admitted it was an honour to be asked to judge on the international stage by the world governing body of dancesport on just one occasion, let alone three, but this year’s judging will actually take his total to 13 in five years.
“Most people would be delighted to be asked to judge just once, so it is a great honour to be asked again,” the father of two said.
“When you retire from professional competition you work behind the scenes making dance couples as good as they can be while the spotlight is on them.
“I played footy like all 10-year-old boys and while I don’t remember not wanting to go to the dance lesson with my sister, I do remember never wanting not to dance after that first session. Dance has been my life.”
In Rimini in July he will judge the Junior World Ten Dance championship, the Youth World Standard (ballroom) championship and the Masters (over 35s) Standard (ballroom) championship.
Nine judges have been appointed from the 87-member countries of WDSF for the July championships.
Mr Tierney moved to Perth after falling in love with his wife Debbie-Anne, a former Australian Professional Rising Star Champion who turned professional at 16.
* Twice British (closed) and twice West European Amateur Ballroom Champion
* Undefeated Australian, South Pacific and Australasian Professional Ballroom Champion
* 13 times winner at Blackpool, England
* Australian Dancing Board Outstanding International Achievement recipient
* Named Australian Professional Competitor of the Year (Australian Dancing Board of Control)
* The only Australian in history to win the British Open Modern Sequence Championships at the Wintergardens Ballroom, Blackpool, England
* 28 years training State, National and International ballroom champions
* Named ADBC Australian Coach of the Year
* Accredited DanceSport Australia Level 3 Coach and Adjudicator
* Multiple World Championship Adjudicator judging amateur and professional world championships in Ballroom, Latin American and Ten Dance